How Physiology and Psychology Drive Human Behavior
How do physiology and psychology drive human behavior?
Do you find yourself giving up on your goals before fully grasping how achieving them will change your life? You can visualize how great it will be to meet each goal, but you can’t seem to make it through that first subtask. You’re in luck!
Claudia Garbutt is a molecular biologist turned mindset & high-performance coach who teaches ambitious entrepreneurs the fundamental mechanisms at the intersection of physiology and psychology that drive human behavior, achievement & well-being.
She uses science-based approaches to teach them how they can work WITH their brain & body instead of AGAINST them to stay happy, healthy & productive and achieve their goals without burning out or sacrificing their health, relationships, or happiness.
She is passionate about empowering other entrepreneurs so they can ditch worry, self-doubt & overwhelm and become authentic, confident leaders and conscious creators of their dream lives.
Claudia is German, a wife, a mom of 2 kids and 2 cats, a runner, an environmentalist, a cancer survivor, and a Top10 entrepreneurship podcast host.
Here are three reasons why you should listen to the complete episode:
- You will understand how your mindset affects your physical health.
- Claudia shares insight into the framework she uses with her clients.
- Find out why Claudia decided, while on a walk, to run a marathon the next day.
Who is Claudia Garbutt
- Claudia is a molecular biologist turned mindset and high-performance coach.
- She teaches ambitious entrepreneurs the fundamental mechanisms at the intersection between physiology and psychology.
- She uses science-based approaches to teach them how they can work with their brain and body.
- Claudia is very passionate about empowering other entrepreneurs so that they can ditch worry, self-doubt, and overwhelm.
Where psychology and physiology converge
- Your mindset directly affects your physical health.
- There’s a gap between what we want to achieve and how pursuing the goal makes us feel.
- The more success achievers create in their businesses, the more stress they experience.
- The more stressed someone is, they are unable to relax and focus.
- Insomnia, digestive problems, migraines, and chronic back pain are physical manifestations of stress.
Becoming an entrepreneur
- Claudia felt like she was stuck between a rock and a hard place, trying to prioritize being a mom and working with expensive labs.
- She struggled with finding something else to do because her identity was so closely linked to being a biologist.
- She started a blog and began doing digital photography and selling things online, but it didn’t feel right.
Developing new emotions as an entrepreneur
- Becoming an entrepreneur brought up many new insecurities.
- Claudia developed fears of rejection, failure, and judgment.
- When you step outside of your comfort zone, you start to have imposter syndrome and don’t know where to start.
Finding a hidden opportunity
- Claudia had to work through her fears and imposter syndrome.
- She discovered that other people suffered from the same problems.
- Many people didn’t know how to move forward and conquer those fears.
- She spent a lot of time learning how to figure it out to help others do the same thing.
Focusing on the finish line
- Claudia originally studied literature and languages.
- When she decided to become a biologist, she did not have a background in math, physics, and chemistry.
- She couldn’t understand the lectures at first and wasn’t sure if she could ever get to the point where the other students were.
- At the end of her studies, she finished in the top 10%.
- People focus on the sucky beginning and are afraid to go on and get to the good part.
Getting through the sucky part
- When learning something new, break it down into bits and pieces that are not too overwhelming.
- The human body produces a lot of cortisol and adrenaline, making us anxious and nervous.
- When part of your prefrontal cortex shuts down, you can’t focus or plan.
- When you break a task down into less intimidating steps, your body can return to the rest and repair state to get you out of chronic stress.
Why we struggle with being patient in the beginning
- We tend to compare ourselves to others.
- We don’t see all the struggles behind the scenes in someone else’s life.
- We think there is something wrong with ourselves because things seem easy for others while experiencing our struggles.
Claudia’s framework she uses with her clients
- The first part of Claudia’s framework is about mindset and finding limiting beliefs and things that hold us back.
- She also looks at the physiological side of how these beliefs affect us physically.
- Claudia then helps her clients break those patterns between what they want and feel.
- The third part is tapping into a spiritual connection that helps her clients get through challenging situations.
- The fourth pillar of her framework is breaking everything down and translating them into daily habits to stay happy, healthy, and successful.
What we get stuck on most
- The number one thing we get stuck on is the mindset.
- Our beliefs affect all things.
- Once you change your beliefs, everything else changes as well.
A personal experience that changed everything
- When Claudia was 28, she was diagnosed with Leukemia.
- Her first reaction to the bad news was relief.
- Before her diagnosis, she felt like she was under constant pressure.
- She changed her life and realized how important staying on top of habits was not to go down the same path again.
What Claudia wants to be remembered for
- Claudia wants to be remembered for doing things despite being scared.
- Claudia wants to be remembered for doing things despite being scared.
3 Powerful Quotes from this Episode
6:33 – “I did things, despite being scared. I tried to connect with people on a profound and meaningful level so that I can impact their lives and help them become who they want to be.”
14:20 – “It’s not where you start. It’s where you end. People often focus so much on the sucky beginning and are too afraid to go on and get to the good part.”
29:17 – “You’re so much more powerful than you think you are. You’re capable of so much more than you give yourself credit.”
About Claudia Garbutt
Claudia has a background in molecular biology but is also a certified life coach, certified CBT (Cognitive Behavioral Therapy) & NLP (Neurolinguistic Programming) & Clinical Hypnotherapy practitioner.
In her coaching, she bridges the gap between psychology & physiology. Claudia teaches ambitious entrepreneurs science-based methods & strategies that allow them to be more productive, happy, resilient & stress-tolerant to handle the ups & downs of the entrepreneurship rollercoaster without burning out—alienating their friends & loved ones or creating a business they don’t enjoy.
Connect with Claudia Garbutt
Enjoying The MindShift Podcast?
Click here to follow on Apple Podcasts. While there, please leave a 5-star rating and review. Also, if you haven’t done so already, join the free MindShift Community to connect with other like-minded people. Don’t forget to tag me @mrdarrellevans on Instagram.
Thanks for listening,